The VDP.GROSSE LAGE® GLÖCK is located on the south end of the Roter Hang in a south to southeast exposition. The 2.1-hectare vineyard is not significantly marked by the typical red clayey slate of the region, but rather by light loess loam soils and sandy, clayey loam. It lies between 90 and 130 metres a.s.l. and has a moderate slope of 30 percent. The GL GLÖCK is a ‘Clos’, meaning the site is completely bounded by old stone walls. That stone shields it against wind and stores up warmth,
contributing to its microclimate as much as its location along the Rhine. GL GLÖCK is planted with Riesling and Spätburgunder.
The long history and the close connection between Nierstein, the church and the vineyard is described by the Nierstein Historical Society as follows: "In 742, Nierstein was first mentioned in a document. The Franconian house emperor Karlmann, a son of Karl Martell, donated several monasteries and churches to the diocese of Würzburg, which was established in 741. Among them was the "basilicam in villa Naristagne in honore sanctae Mariae - the basilica in the village of Nierstein, in honor of St. Mary". In the deed of donation the name GLÖCK itself is not listed, only the belonging and the accessories of the church. However, this certainly includes the area at the foot of the church, which is mentioned in 1406 as "Bergwingert". For this reason, GLÖCK - one of the famous sites of the Rote Hang - is often referred to as the oldest vineyard site in Germany. When exactly today's name GLÖCK first appears in writing, however, remains an open question."