On November 26th, 1910, winegrowing estate owners, domain directors and administrators from the three Rhine "noble winegrowing regions" of Rheingau, Rheinhessen and Rheinpfalz as well as from Mosel, Saar and Ruwer met in Koblenz to set up a "Verband Deutscher Naturweinversteigerer" (VDNV). This event was not deemed worthy a single mention in most of the trade journals for viticulture and wine trade. A hundred years later, the wines with the grape eagle are world-famous ambassadors for the unique German wine culture. The world's oldest national association of top wine producers now also unites wineries with sites of world renown from all German wine-growing regions – from the Saar to the Main, from Lake Constance to Saxony.
In 1910, the "Vereinigung Rheinhessischer Naturwein-Versteigerer" and its four members were by far the smallest of the four founding associations. It comprised only estates that had vineyards on the Roter Hang (Red Slope) between Mainz and Nierstein. Most probably founded in 1909, the association had eight members in the mid-twenties, two of them in Bingen. The cultivated area was listed as 10.6 hectares. The admission of the Großherzoglich-Hessische Domäne in Mainz at the end of the twenties split the association, which had grown again in the meantime. It is no longer possible to reconstruct whether, and if so for how long, the wineries auctioned their wines individually or together during the Third Reich. In any case, no auctions have been approved on the Rhine since 1940. After the Second World War, the association was reconstituted without ever having been dissolved. It is thanks to the Niersteiner winery owner Peter von Weymarn (Heyl zu Herrnsheim) that the VDNV did not dissolve after the prohibition of the designation "natural wine" by the Wine Act of 1971. von Weymarn also founded the Rheinhessische Weinbörse (1974), the predecessor of the Mainzer Weinbörse. This has been the largest trade fair for top German wines for many years. Today VDP.Rheinhessen has 17 members and a vineyard area of approx. 300 hectares, or a solid one percent of the region's vineyard area.