VDP.Baden’s origins harken back to 1907, when four natural wine growing associations were founded. The associations joined together in 1908 as the Verband der badischen Naturweinbau-Vereine, which in 1910 then became founding members of the Verband deutscher Naturweinversteigerer (the forerunner to today’s VDP.Die Prädikatsweingüter). Before the introduction in 1971 of what is today a generally accepted and legally regulated division of wines into table wines, quality wines and Prädikatsweine, "unimproved" wines were referred to as natural wines.
During the Second World War the vines remained untended or were destroyed. In addition, the experts who could have restored the vineyards to a productive state were either fallen in war, weakened, damaged or outdated. It was not until 1950 that the organization was reactivated in Offenburg during a conference of Baden wine producers. Various name changes of the association followed in the period from 1955 to the 70s.
MILESTONES OF THE VDP.BADEN:
1986 VDP.Baden is founded in Angelbachtal-Michelfeld. It joins the national association in the same year and recognizes its statute.
2007 The members of the regional association celebrate their 100th anniversary.
2012 Introduction of the four-level VDP classification system.
2013 The best sites are defined more clearly and labeled with more narrow geographical indications (blocks). This takes account of the heterogeneous merging of many oversized individual sites by the 1971 Wine Act.