135TH PRÄDIKATSWEIN AUCTION GROSSER RING VDP.MOSEL-SAAR-RUWER
The top wines of the exciting 2021 vintage will be auctioned.
Top-quality wines of the exciting 2021 vintage will be on auction. You will find more event details here at a later date.
THE GROSSER RING AUCTION - TRIER, GERMANY -
The rarest & most prestigious German wines are only available at the auction.
The VDP Mosel-Saar-Ruwer chapter, also known as the Grosser Ring (“large circle”), was established in 1908. Since the end of the 19th century, many of Germany’s most renowned producers offer their finest wines at auction, where anyone can bid on some of the best Rieslings in the world.
HOW DOES THE WINE AUCTION WORK?
In Trier, the annual Grosser Ring wine auction is held in mid-September and is open to the public, with the possibility to taste the wines in the morning before the event. After the pre-auction tasting, the wines are then auctioned off in the afternoon in a so-called wet auction—i.e., the wines are served again while they are being auctioned. These are special lots of some of the best wines from the Mosel, Saar, and Ruwer. Therefore, they are not available via traditional sales channels, (prior to the auction).
CAN I JUDGE IF A WINE IS WORTH IT?
The wines sold at the Grosser Ring auction often represent the essence of Mosel Riesling’s greatness. The producer only offers the most exceptional wines from his or her cellar. In addition, all auction wines have to be tested before the event by a group of knowledgeable wine buyers.
HOW CAN I BID FOR A WINE?
1. Take a look at the auction catalog at www.grosserring.de.
2. Choose your favorite wines and decide the amount of bottles you would like to purchase out of these lots.
3. Think about the maximum price per bottle that you are willing to pay. Bids are put in the form of “I want x number of bottles for up to y euros per bottle.”
For example, there is a flexible and smart bidding pyramid:
I want 1 bottle up to €100 per bottle hammer price
6 bottles if the hammer price is not more than €45 per bottle
12 bottles if the hammer price is not more than €35 per bottle
18 bottles if the hammer price is not more than €30 per bottle
36 bottles if the hammer price is not more than €15 per bottle
4. Give your maximum price for a certain number of bottles in the bidding pyramid to one of the wine brokers, as only an accredited broker is allowed to bid at the auction. They, however, bid for everybody and will gladly offer you their advice as well.
5. After the auction, the broker takes care of invoicing and on request of the shipment of your wines, which is no problem in Germany. International shipments are also possible.
ARE AUCTION WINES CHEAPER THAN NORMALY SOLD LOTS?
No, the auction offers rare wines of exceptional quality. So what you get are wines that are worth their price, as demand meets supply. Nevertheless, bargains are possible
ARE THERE ANY HIDDEN COSTS OR OTHER RISKS IN BIDDING AT AUCTION?
No, you don’t have to pay any extra fees for unsuccessful bids. For instance, if your maximum bid was lower than the hammer price, you simply don’t get the wine.
If the hammer price meets the bid in your price pyramid, you only get the bottles that you ordered at that price.
The broker issues the invoice about the closing bid price and adds the broker’s commission of 5 percent, plus the value-added tax. There could be additional costs, such as for shipping.
WHO IS MY CONTACT PERSON?
Beside the producer, your broker is your contact person. The following list covers all contact details of the accredited wine brokers in 2021. To be sure, please have a look at the website www.vdp-mosel.de. Inside the catalogue, you will find a list of the brokers, too.
Telefon 0 65 31 – 9 14 00
Fax 0 65 31 – 37 09
Telefon 0 65 07 – 22 13
Fax 0 65 07 – 62 57
KARL A. RESS WEIN KG
Am Hendelberg 15
Telefon 0 67 23 – 9 19 00
Fax 0 67 23 – 91 90 90
SELBACH, J. & H. GmbH & Co. KG
Telefon 0 65 32 – 95 38 0
Fax 0 65 32 – 40 14
JOHANN HILD e.K
Telefon 0 65 83 – 5 27
Fax 0 65 83 – 15 17
Ansprechpartner: Matthias Hild
DR. FABIAN FREISBERG
WEIN- UND KUNSTHANDEL
Phone +49 170 3 03 79 69
Kirchstraße 69 · 65375 Oestrich-Winkel
Telefon: +49 (0) 67 23 / 91 85 13 · Fax: +49 (0) 67 23 / 91 85 40
Mobil: +49 (0) 160 / 15 29 711
- A.J. Adam |
- Clemens Busch |
- Dr. Loosen |
- Egon Müller - Scharzhof |
- Forstmeister Geltz-Zilliken |
- Fritz Haag |
- Haart |
- Joh. Jos. Prüm |
- Josef Milz |
- Knebel |
- Maximin Grünhaus - Weingut der Familie von Schubert |
- Peter Lauer |
- Schloss Lieser - Thomas Haag |
- Schloss Saarstein |
- Van Volxem |
- Von Hövel |
- Von Othegraven |
- Willi Schaefer |
- Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch, Erben Thanisch