The VDP. GROSSE LAGE® DOCTOR faces the Mosel River with a steep to 70 percent gradient and is located above the Berkastel old town. It turns from the south west to the south and due to its exposition and steepness, it enjoys many hours of intense sunshine. The dark, rocky soil comprised of weathered Devon slate with high fine earth content stores warmth and moisture well. The 3.5-hectare GL DOCTOR lays wind exposed at 130 to 190 metres a.s.l. It is planted predominantly with ungrafted Riesling vines. History: The Doctor vineyard is one of the most famous and at one time the most expensive vineyard in the world. According to legend, Archbishop of Trier Boemund II became severely ill in 1360 and no medication proved effective. Drinking two bottles of Bernkastel wine finally healed him, thus lending the site the name „Doctor“. There is though confirmed documentation of King Edward VII of Great Britain (1841-1910) drinking this wine as medicine. The wine achieved the lofty price of 10 gold marks per bottle at the beginning of the 20th century in 1904. Fans of wines from the Doctor vineyard were Kaiser Wilhelm II. (1859-1941), US President Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), and the German Chancellor Konrad Adenauer (1876-1967).