Facts & figures

RELATED TOPICS

German Wine in general

The German Wine Insitute (DWI) published the new issue of "German Wine - Statistic 2014/15" with the most important figures regarding the German and international wine market.

Read more

Year of Founding

1910

Members

195 winegrowing estates from each of Germany's winegrowing regions

Positioning

  • Harvest yields: approx. 3% of the German wine harvest
  • Vineyard holdings: approx. 5% of Germany's land under vine (5,260 ha)
  • Revenue: approx. 7.5% of total German wine sales

Statistical Averages for VDP.estates

  • Land under vine: 26.5 hectares
  • Bottles / year: 171,000
  • Revenues / year: approx. €1.63 mn

 

 

Riesling Expertise

  • 23 % of Germany's hectares under vine are planted with Riesling
  • Within the VDP, 55 % of all vineyards are planted with Riesling
  • These 2,893 ha correspond to 5 % of the global Riesling production and 12 % of Germany's Riesling vineyards

Above-average share of organic viniculture

  • Germany boasts 8,100 ha of organic agriculture: 22 % of that area belong to VDP.estates
  • Within the VDP, approx. 1,116 ha of organically tended vineyards are spread across 50 estates (some currently still transitioning). One quarter of VDP.estates follow organic guidelines, and the trend is increasing.
  • The 1,116 ha of organically cultivated vineyards represent 21 % of VDP vineyard holdings

(Source: Statistisches Bundesamt March 2014)

Growth

  • 1990: VDP counts 161 estate members
  • Since then: 128 new members and 94 departures
  • 2017: 195 estates are members of the VDP

Sales Figures

  • Revenue volumes for all VDP.estates totalled roughly €323 mn, on sales of approx. 34 mn bottles
  • 42 % of VDP wines are marketed directly to consumers
  • Another 35 % are sold via specialized retailers
  • Restaurants represent the remaining 17 %
  • 77 % of VDP wines are sold domestically, with the remaining 23 % exported
  • Half of those exports are dry wines

VDP.GROSSES GEWÄCHS® / 2016 vintage (red: 2015):

  • Approx. 5 % of VDP production, approx. 1,700,000 bottles
  • Average price € 32.00 per bottle
  • Vintage 2016/2015 620 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 324 sites, 173 wineries
  • Vintage 2015/2014 587 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 340 sites, 178 wineries
  • Vintage 2014/2013 506 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 295 sites, 164 wineries
  • Vintage 2013/2012 515 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 294 sites, 167 wineries
  • Vintage 2012/2011 511 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 300 sites, 168 wineries
  • Vintage 2011/2010 444 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 262 sites, 156 wineries
  • Vintage 2010/2009 420 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 255 sites, 152 wineries
  • Vintage 2009/2008 465 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 262 sites, 158 wineries
  • Vintage 2008/2007 364 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 224 sites, 145 wineries
  • Vintage 2007/2006 405 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 233 sites, 141 wineries
  • Vintage 2006/2005 279 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 177 sites, 111 wineries
  • Vintage 2005/2004 272 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 177 sites, 117 wineries
  • Vintage 2004/2003 266 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 166 sites, 113 wineries
  • Vintage 2003/2002 269 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 157 sites, 113 wineries
  • Vintage 2002/2001 189 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 125 sites, 97 wineries
  • Vintage 2001/2000 108 VDP.GROSSE GEWÄCHSE®, 80 sites, 58 wineries